If you’re looking for a new South Africa all in one office printer, then you might already know exactly what you want. Alternatively, you might not know what sort of printer will be best for using in your office.
Here’s how to make sure that you get the right printer in South Africa.
- You’ll need to decide what the printer will be for. Are you going to use it as the sole printer in your office? Will it be a spare printer? Will it be used only for a specific purpose?
- How much use the printer will see is also an important factor. A laser printer used by everybody in a large busy office will need to be more robust and capable, than an inkjet printer used just for printing a handful of invoices once a month.
- A laser printer will be best if you’re printing a lot of documents, such as letters or reports. Colour laser printers are more expensive than monochrome laser printers but will be just what you need if you intend to use colour in your documents or reports, or don’t want to have to swap printers when you want to print images. They are also faster than inkjet printers.
- Toner cartridges are for laser printers, and you’ll need to make sure that you’ve got at least one spare for your office printer. You might prefer to use the same brand of toner cartridge as recommended by your printer manufacturer, or use a cheaper alternative. The cheaper alternative might not produce as good results, but will often represent a substantial saving.
- If you’re going to be printing a combination of text and images, and speed is not really an issue for you, then you might prefer an inkjet printer. These are cheaper to buy than laser printers, and so are ideal if you are on a budget.
- Inkjet cartridges are essential for any inkjet printer, and you’ll want to make sure that you you’ve got plenty of spare inkjet cartridges for your printer. Like laser toner cartridges, inkjet cartridges are available from the printer manufacturer and other brands, and it can be cheaper to use alternative brands, so you might want to experiment before deciding which sort to use.
- A multifunction printer, which will include the ability to scan documents and produce colour photocopies, and possibly fax, might be perfect for your office, especially if you don’t have a lot of space, or can’t justify a separate photocopier, fax or scanner.
- A photo printer as its name suggests is designed for printing out photographs. Some photo printers will attach directly to a camera, and produce images that are the size of traditional photographs, on photographic paper, rather than an A4 image on normal printer paper. If you want your photographs to look good, then you’ll want a photo printer.
- Printer running costs can be extremely high. Whilst you might find a very cheap printer that fits the bill, you might find that the inkjet cartridges or the toner cartridges are almost as expensive as the printer itself. It is often more cost effective to buy a much more expensive printer with cheaper cartridges, and lower running costs.
- You might have a preferred printer brand in mind, or have some specific requirements in mind. You might need the printer to be wireless, or need it to work with a specific operating system. By working out what you need, you can make sure that you get the right printer for your office.
Now you know what to look for, you can be sure to choose the right printer in South Africa for your office, and make sure that it is what you need, and not prohibitively expensive to run.