WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW:
- An arteriovenous fistula, also called an AVF, is a surgical connection of an artery directly to a vein. This is usually done in those who need hemodialysis. Hemodialysis is a treatment to treat acute (sudden) and chronic (long-term) kidney failure. A machine that works like your real kidneys is used to clean waste from your blood. The AVF will act as a bridge for blood to enter the hemodialysis machine. The fistula is usually made by plastic surgeon in Noida in the arm that is not always used (left arm if you are right and vice versa). This is where nephrologist in Delhi puts the needles during hemodialysis. The blood will flow out and back through the AVF after it is cleaned by the hemodialysis machine.
- Healthy kidneys clean the blood by removing harmful substances such as excess fluid, minerals, and toxic (harmful) waste. They also make substances that help keep your bones strong and your blood healthy. Kidney failure causes harmful waste to build up in your body, leading to an increase in blood pressure. This can also cause your body to retain excess fluid and not make enough red blood cells. When this happens, you may need treatment to replace the function of your kidneys. Having an AVF for hemodialysis can relieve your symptoms of kidney failure and improve your quality of life.
Take your medications as directed:
Call your nephrologist in Delhi if you think your medicine is not working as expected. Tell him if you are allergic to any medicine. Keep a current list of medications, vitamins, and herbs you take. Include the amounts, how you take them, and when and why you take them. Bring the list or pill bottles to follow-up appointments. Keep the list with you in case of an emergency. Throw away old lists.
- Antibiotics: These medicines may be given to help you fight infections caused by bacteria. Always take your antibiotics as directed by your GP. Do not stop taking your medicine unless your GP tells you to. Never save antibiotics or take leftover antibiotics that you have been given before for another illness.
- Pain medicine: You may need medicine to stop or reduce pain.
- Learn how to take your medicine. Ask what medicine you need to take and the dosage. Make sure you know how and when you need to take it as well as how often.
- Do not wait until your pain is too bad to take your medicine. Tell your kidney specialist in Delhi if your pain does not decrease.
- Pain medicines may make you dizzy or drowsy. To prevent falls, call someone when you get out of bed or need help.
Request information about the location and time of your follow-up consultations:
Request more information about ongoing care, treatment, or home services.
Ask your best plastic surgeon in Noida when you need to return to have your AV fistula checked.
Caring for your arteriovenous fistula:
When you are allowed to bathe, carefully wash your stitches with soap and water. Dry them with a clean towel. You may have sterile strips (tape strips) on your incision. Keep them clean and dry. When they start to get up, let them fall down on their own. Don’t remove them.
- Remove the AVF bandage 4 to 6 hours after dialysis in Delhi.
- Check your AVF every day for good blood flow by touching it with your fingertips. The buzzing sensation means it works. Check for bleeding, pain, redness, or swelling. These may be signs of infection or an obstructed AVF.
- To prevent damage to your AVF, no one should take your blood pressure or take blood from the arm with the AVF. Do not wear tight clothing or jewelry, and avoid sleeping on that arm.
CONTACT A DOCTOR IF:
- You have a fever.
- Your skin itches, swells, or has a rash.
- You have questions or concerns about your surgery or medications.
SEEK IMMEDIATE ATTENTION IF:
- Your FAV site has blood, pus, or a foul odor.
- You have more pain in the area where the AVF was made.
- You suddenly have trouble breathing.
This information is used only for educational purposes. It is not intended to give you medical advice about diseases or treatments. Check with the best nephrologist in Delhi, nurse or pharmacist before taking any medical regimen to find out if it is safe and effective for you.
You may use these HTML tags and attributes:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>
Leave a Reply